At Zander Insurance Group we want to make the process of applying for life insurance simple, informative and responsive to your needs. Below we have listed the simple steps of the application process and explained the underwriting classifications that insurance companies use when determining eligibility. Throughout the process, don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP!
1. When initially requesting a life insurance application please use the request form provided in your quote packet and return it to us by fax or mail using the postage paid envelope provided. For on-line processing click on the "request application" option listed on our website navigation bar. For more convenience, we will take your request for an application over the phone toll free at 800.356.4282...whichever option you prefer will receive our prompt attention.
2. We will review your request form, transfer the information to the appropriate company’s application and forward it to you for your signature.
3. Your paramedical exam will be scheduled, at your convenience, within a few days of our receipt of your application request form. The exam is at no cost to you. Since the results of the exam help determine the underwriting classification and the cost of your policy, we have listed below several tips to assure favorable results:
- Do not eat 8 - 12 hours prior to exam.
- Avoid food high in salt or fat.
- Limit coffee, tea or any caffeine 2 hours prior to exam.
- Refrain from alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to exam.
- Be well rested and avoid strenuous exercise 24 hours prior to the exam.
- Avoid nasal decongestants and pain medications (aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen) up to 8 hours prior to the exam.
4. Once you receive the life insurance application for the company selected via mail, please review it, complete all highlighted areas and sign at the locations noted. Remember to have a witness sign if requested. The examiner will pick up the application at the time of your exam. To avoid costly delays, please bring the application to your exam . . . otherwise the examiner will have to reschedule.
5. Once your exam is completed and the application is returned to us, the selected insurance company will review all pertinent data and upon approval, we will forward the policy for your review. Once your application has been received the average time for approval and policy delivery is 4 - 6 weeks.
6. During the application process the selected insurance company will determine your eligibility based on a variety of personal attributes including; age, family history, current and past health history, driving record, height, weight, life style, avocation and tobacco usage. Final ratings usually fall within three categories: Preferred Plus, Preferred and Standard:
- Preferred Plus — This category is used for applicants in excellent health and have no negative underwriting results. Cholesterol readings generally are under 200, with no treatment for hypertension, elevated cholesterol or other health related factors. An individual must have no history of tobacco use in the past five years, limited risky avocations and no family history of cancer or heart disease death prior to age 60. Height and weight is also considered in determining your eligibility.
- Preferred — This category is used for those applicants who are in excellent health but have one or two minor deviations from the Preferred Plus category. Cholesterol levels generally up to 240 - 250 are acceptable and there must be no tobacco use for three years. Height and weight is also considered in determining your eligibility.
- Standard — This category is used for those applications who have major deviations from the Preferred classification. It can be caused by any disqualifications from the Preferred category that is substantial in nature and is usually ongoing and/or recent in occurrence. Height and weight is also considered in determining your eligibility.